Updated January 27, 2014
Updated June 20, 2014.
Everyone, it seems, is painting with encaustic. Logic would tell us that the number of artists working with wax is actually far less than those who work with oil or acrylic, yet in our encaustic community it certainly feels as if the world has gone waxy. As with any medium, practitioners come in three basic flavors: artists, craftmakers, and hobbyists. While there is some overlap between and among the categories, I think this breakdown is a useful construct. Further, it is worth noting that the encaustic community has been relatively nonhierarchical in the way these three groups come together around their involvement with the medium of wax. Yet serious practitioners, myself included, are beginning to feel the ramifications of “encaustic art,” a catch-all term that can best be defined as long on technique but short on concept. This essay and others in this blog are intended as tools for discussion.
Art
.
“I regard my use of encaustic
.
not as giving me membership into
the cult of a special art medium, .
but rather giving me a new approach
.
to my longtime painting concerns.”
.
—Peter Flaccus in The Art of Encaustic Painting
—Peter Flaccus in The Art of Encaustic Painting
.
Like Peter Flaccus and others, I am a painter focused on the
art of encaustic painting. My cohort went to art school. We have a history of
working in other mediums—and some of us still do—but we have found that wax or
encaustic provides the most cogent means for our expression. In the studio, the
dialog is between the artist and the art; beyond the studio practice, there is
the discourse within contemporary art. We may work in isolation, but our
creative effort has a relationship to what has come before and what is happening
now. By before I don’t mean the Fayum
paintings necessarily—romantic as that notion is—but art history in general;
our effort is part of a continuum. By now
I mean conceptually how our efforts fit into the larger picture and
professionally how we find or create a place for ourselves in that picture.
.
That larger picture includes exhibiting in galleries and art
museums, or art centers and academic galleries; having our work seriously collected
(as opposed to “Sold!” in the parlance of Facebook); engaging in discourse via
critique, critical writing, and community discussion; and if we teach, teaching
in a way that integrates how with why, what and what if.
.
It’s an unusual artist who arrives at this point self
taught. It’s possible—indeed a few of our best-known artist/teachers do not
hold degrees—but it is unusual and comes as a result of years of practice. Art
school may not teach one to be a great artist, but it does—through instruction,
example, and the experience of the studio—help students become artists by seeing observantly, spatially and compositionally;
by thinking critically; by
understanding the connection between
material and expression, and by articulating
their intent. Artists who have learned in this way tend to teach others
this way. Artists teach others to be artists. So while some artists have not
gone to art school, if they have learned well otherwise, they are able to pass
on that learning if they choose to teach.
.
Professionals make art without qualification. They keep the encaustic in their work but drop it from their
description; it is their medium, not their message. If you want your work to be taken seriously, engage in
some good critical dialog about it with professionals who are equipped
to help you move your work forward. You should not be involved with groups that
cater to hobbyists. You should not be showing with crafters and hobbyists. Aim
higher, even if the results are less than positive in your initial attempts.
The safety of a show where everyone gets in is not where you should be.
Competition is healthy. It makes you grow.
.
David A. Clark, commenting on a Facebook thread, says this clearly: "The choices we make are what define us."
.
David A. Clark, commenting on a Facebook thread, says this clearly: "The choices we make are what define us."
.
Art is Sustained by the
Efforts of Many.
. R&F Handmade Paints,
founded by Richard Frumess and now run in concert with Jim Haskin and Darin
Seim, has been the touchstone in our community for art, technique and, of
course, materials. In terms of art, Encaustic Works, the company’s series of
gallery- and museum-situated biennials, culminated recently in a book, Encaustic Works 2012, a new direction
for the biennial’s format. The Gallery at R&F, directed by Laura Moriarty,
dialogues not only with the encaustic community but with the larger art
community—both in Kingston, New York, where it is located, and in cyberspace,
where there are no geographic boundaries. Through a Visiting Artist program,
workshops are taught by acknowledged masters of the medium who are also
respected for their creative vision; to underscore that connection, visiting
artists are typically given a concurrent solo exhibition in the R&F
Gallery.
.
. Conrad Wilde
Gallery, owned and directed by Miles Conrad, features an annual Encaustic Invitational accompanied by a
handsome catalog. The exhibition, which
just celebrated its seventh iteration, has drawn artists to the gallery’s Tucson location to
celebrate artistic achievement rather than technique. Through participation at
art fairs in Los Angeles , Miami
and New York City ,
the gallery presents work in a variety of media by its artists, thus moving
encaustic out of a comfortable ghetto and into a broader, more competitive
arena. Indeed, David Cohen, writing about the Miami art fairs in December 2011 in
Artcritical.com, noted approvingly of “the funky abstractionist stable of
Conrad Wilde Gallery.” Conrad recently received an MFA. He also teaches,
and he maintains a specialty paint company, Miles Conrad Encaustics.
.
. Evans Encaustics,
owned and operated by Hylla Evans, annually invites one nationally known artist
to present a Master Class at the company’s Sonoma studio. Evans has recently begun a
series of blog posts based around chromatic issues. The idea, in both the
classes and the blog posts, is to engender thinking about the art of the work, even while
acknowledging the importance of material and technique.
.
. The International
Encaustic Conference, which I founded and now co-produce with Cherie Mittenthal and Truro Center
for the Arts on Cape Cod, offers demonstrations and workshops by degreed
artists, by those teaching at the university level, or by those who have
significant teaching and exhibition experience, in a program that places strong
emphasis on the cultural, historical and contemporary applications of
encaustic, along with professional development. I like to say that you may
arrive an “encaustic artist” but you will leave “an artist”—or at least with
your options more fully articulated.
.
. There are other organizations, such as the Encaustic Art Institute and International Encaustic Artists. Membership based, they cater to a range of constituents, from serious practitioners to hobbyists.
.
.
Art is Sustained by Books, Videos, E-media
. The Art of Encaustic Painting (Watson-Guptill, 2001),
the first commercially published volume on the topic in half a century, is now
regarded as the community ”bible.”
While the publisher wanted a straight how-to, I delivered a volume that offered as
much in historical information and contemporary inspiration as technical
information. My idea was to show the who
and what with just enough how to get artists engaged (and keep the
publisher satisfied). It is still in print.
.
. Paula Roland’s Encaustic
Monotypes: Painterly Prints with Heat and Wax (Studio Galli Films,
2010) is the video source for printing with wax. The title, which strategically
places “painterly” before the “wax,” tells you what you need to know about the
artist’s priorities. Roland, who studied with Dorothy Furlong Gardner, has been
the contemporary impetus behind the encaustic monotype movement. Through her
work, she is a role model for what is possible creatively in the medium.
.
. Encaustic with a Textile Sensibility (Waxy Buildup Press, 2010), Daniella
Woolf’s self-published book, considers
the crosscurrents between wax and fiber. This book can be found on the desks of dealers and curators, though Woolf seems to have taken a
more craft-oriented direction with a recent commercial publication (see next section).
.
. Table of Contents, is Laura Moriarty’s newly published
volume. Moriarty takes a scholarly approach to her oeuvre, placing it into the context
of science—and anyone familiar with her work can see the connection to geology
and land-based art. Moriarty funded this book through USA Projects (indeed,
helping her reach her monetary goal became something of a community project).
In addition to being an inspiring piece of artwork in its own right, the book
is a reminder to artists that self publishing is possible; that through funding
it is attainable; and that through a strong online network, both visibility and
sales are likely. I expect we will see more scholarly monographs and catalogs
raisonnés by artists, inspired largely by this work.
.
. Authentic Visual Voices, Catherine Nash’s just-published volume,
extends into an e-format the lecturing she has done on her prodigious
research, which is an examination of the art and artists working at the nexus
of two tangible mediums.
.
. Encaustic Arts Magazine,
produced by the Encaustic Art Institute in New Mexico , is an online publication that invites
artists to write about their work and provides a magazine format for the
content. While I feel the editorial point of view has yet to be fully refined,
the magazine is one of just a handful that offers online editorial.
.
. Relatedly, Evans
Encaustics and R&F produce
blogs, and there are a number of artists’ blogs that address studio issues as
well as painting and sculpture. You will find a list of live links on the
Encaustic Conference blog. Several (out of many) I could mention:
. Jhina Alvarado’s Rising Artist
. Lynette Haggard’s Artist Interviews and News
. Alexandre Masino’s self-titled blog
. Nancy Natale’s Art in the Studio
. My own Joanne Mattera Art Blog which
addresses encaustic only occasionally, as I wish to look at the art world more
broadly
. ProWax Journal is a new bimonthly whose first issue was published in September 2013 by the ProWax collective, a group of professional painters, printmakers and sculptors, who have come together, largely online (after meeting annually at the International Encaustic Conference) to discuss issues of encaustic in our own practice and in the larger encaustic community. Maritza Ruiz-Kim is the editor.
. The conventional art magazines, Art in America, Art
News, Modern Painter, report
on and review art in all mediums, including wax.
.
. A host of monographs
and catalogs, produced by artists themselves or under the aegis of an
academic venue or commercial gallery, are available. Several to mention are by
Linda Cordner, Howard Hersh, Supria Karmakar (with Milisa Galazzi and Sarah
Rehmer), Catherine Nash, Nancy Natale, Sherrie Posternak, Elise Wagner, Gregory
Wright and others, which continue the discussion in word or image.
Update, January 2014: ProWax Journal, edited by Maritza Ruiz-Kim and produced by members of ProWax, an online collective of 130 painters, printmakers, sculptors, gallerists, curators, and journalists with a professional involvement with wax, publishes its first issue in September 2013
The Weight: Dealing with the Issue of "Encaustic Art" in Issue 2 continues some of the themes discusses in this essay
Update, June 2014: In an effort to acknowledge the longtime efforts of artists working in encaustic--artists of recognized achievement who are gallery represented, museum exhibited and journalistically reviewed--and to begin to establish a contemporay history in the medium, I organized a Conference 8 panel, The Roots of Contemporary Encaustic. Participants were Dan Addington, Heather Hutchison, Tremain Smith, Joan Stuart Ross and myself.
Here's a link to the participants and their work, as well as links to those artists whose work they discussed--a good primer on the topic of art in the medium of encaustic.
Screengrab from the Conference blog
Update, January 2014: ProWax Journal, edited by Maritza Ruiz-Kim and produced by members of ProWax, an online collective of 130 painters, printmakers, sculptors, gallerists, curators, and journalists with a professional involvement with wax, publishes its first issue in September 2013
The Weight: Dealing with the Issue of "Encaustic Art" in Issue 2 continues some of the themes discusses in this essay
Update, June 2014: In an effort to acknowledge the longtime efforts of artists working in encaustic--artists of recognized achievement who are gallery represented, museum exhibited and journalistically reviewed--and to begin to establish a contemporay history in the medium, I organized a Conference 8 panel, The Roots of Contemporary Encaustic. Participants were Dan Addington, Heather Hutchison, Tremain Smith, Joan Stuart Ross and myself.
Here's a link to the participants and their work, as well as links to those artists whose work they discussed--a good primer on the topic of art in the medium of encaustic.
Screengrab from the Conference blog
.
.
Craft
.
“Where many "craft mediums" toe
“Where many "craft mediums" toe
.
the line of form vs function,
.
encaustic may lean to "craft" in
.
relation to one’s purpose, dedication
.
and execution. Where encaustic does
.
not touch on functionality as
.
ceramics and metalsmithing do, it can
.
be consumed by the novelty of technique.”
.
—Krista Svalbonas, artist, on Facebook
.
.
.
.
.
.
Some encaustic practitioners prefer to remain in the relatively
more cozy sphere of craft. Here, the making
of the work, as well as the materials
of the making, assume primacy. The
conceptual focus is not so much the idea as the process, not so much the expression as the object. I make no value judgment in distinguishing art from craft—that
distinction is often difficult to make and indeed there are distinctions
between fine craft and hobby craft—but I would underscore this discussion by
saying that craft has as long and valued a tradition as art.
.
Hey, not everyone wants to endure the rigors of an MFA
program, or even the often financially unrewarding career choice of the studio
artist with or without degree. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get your hands
into stuff in a contemplative and
creatively rewarding way. And it’s
entirely possible that having learned the technical basics—the craft of the medium—some
students will make the leap to a more professionally rigorous practice.
.
There are as many art crafters in this category as there are
hobby crafters. Collage is crafty. Yet consider that Jasper Johns has employed
the technique in much of his oeuvre. Transfer prints are crafty. Yet consider
that for Robert Rauschenberg they were a staple, along with his use of fabric.
Fiber is crafty. Yet Louise Bourgeois incorporated stitching and fabric into
her work. On the other hand, “encaustic art” is long on technique but short on
concept, and often derivative. So it’s not the technique or the medium that defines
art or craft but the intent. When the
emphasis in on the how rather than on
the why, it aligns with craft.
Let me bring in another voice here, that of Laura Moriarty, whom most in this community know as a widely exhibited artist, respected teacher, and director of the Gallery at R&F: "Traditional craft is widely understood as material-based, and typically involves
paper, wood, metal, clay, fiber and glass, and functionality is a primary
concern. Often, it is the question of form vs function that elevates Craft to
the status of Art. Wax, as a terrific integrating medium, plays well into this
tradition (and it instantly makes functional objects non-functional!). Craft,
like art, is not simply about making, but it does often privilege that process."
.
While I would hate for an ensuing discussion to center on art vs craft, since the larger issue is art vis a vis encaustic art, the art-or-craft dilemma may solved in part by the
declaration of the maker. In large measure you’re an artist by claiming the title and placing your work in an art context. Repeating Clark's comment is valuable here: "The choices we make are what define us."
.
However, we are all subject to the outside opinion--that of the dealer, juror, critic and curator--for our career aspirations may be advanced or thwarted by their response to our efforts. In this context Justice Potter Stewart’s famous remark about pornography can be translated to the subject of art-or-craft: “I know it when I see it.”
.
However, we are all subject to the outside opinion--that of the dealer, juror, critic and curator--for our career aspirations may be advanced or thwarted by their response to our efforts. In this context Justice Potter Stewart’s famous remark about pornography can be translated to the subject of art-or-craft: “I know it when I see it.”
Craft or the More Hobby-based “Encaustic art” is
Sustained by . . .
books and videos such as the following. All are project
based or how-to focused, allowing an artist to concentrate on technique. Some
artists will use those techniques to develop their craft while others will learn enough technique to go on to express larger ideas. In general the
craft-based books do not address the issue of studio practice.
. Embracing Encaustic (Hive Press, 2007), a self-publishing effort by Linda and Bill Womack
. Encaustic Art (Watson Guptill, 2010), by Lisa Rankin
. The Encaustic Studio (Interweave
Press, 2012), by Daniella Woolf; includes a DVD
. Encaustic Art (Watson Guptill, 2010), by Lisa Rankin
. Encaustic Workshop (FW Publications,
2009), by Patricia Seggebruch
. Periodicals such as Cloth, Paper, Scissors, deliver articles for a readership of
makers, including those who work with encaustic
. More seriously, within the craft category are many publications that draw freely from the worlds of art and craft. American Craft, Surface Design Journal, and the late Fiberarts have all featured work by artists whose work is encaustic as well as by “encaustic artists” whose work is craft based or hobby focused.
. More seriously, within the craft category are many publications that draw freely from the worlds of art and craft. American Craft, Surface Design Journal, and the late Fiberarts have all featured work by artists whose work is encaustic as well as by “encaustic artists” whose work is craft based or hobby focused.
.
.
.
Hobby
.
“What’s with all the ‘encaustic
.
art’ I’m seeing lately? The work is
.
derivative and has no edge, no
.
je ne sais
quoi. These people have
.
no business submitting work. They are
.
not ready for gallery
representation.”
.
—New York dealer who asked to remain
anonymous
.
.
.
.
.
“The new wave of encaustic has definitely opened the door
for the crafters and hobbyists,” notes Marie-Claude Allen, an
artist participating in a Facebook discussion about the teaching
of encaustic.
.
Hobbyists are amateurs. Again, no value judgment is intended.
Amateur—from the French “lover of”— aptly
describes the person who is enamored of the materials, who loves to make, loves
to experiment. A hobby does not require critical thinking, just a love of
medium and process.
.
If you’re a hobbyist, go ahead and make “encaustic
art.” Show in venues where you feel
comfortable—art centers, organizationally sponsored exhibitions, medium-specific
shows—where you don’t have to discuss or defend your work. If
you’re a hobbyist, making art should be fun.
However—and here’s a value judgment—you are not ready for the closeup of
serious scrutiny. You should not expect to be showing with professionals.
.
In my opinion, one of the reasons so many hobbyists are proceeding with an unrealistic sense of their talent is that they are showing in mixed-level organizations where all-member exhibitions let everyone in, or are being juried by artist members who either don't have the critical ability to select from a pile of submissions or who are eager to keep members happy by including their work.
.
Hobbyists: Find your peers and exhibit with them in modest venues where the limited expression of “encaustic art” will not impact the efforts of serious artists. Should you be teaching? I would say no.
.
In my opinion, one of the reasons so many hobbyists are proceeding with an unrealistic sense of their talent is that they are showing in mixed-level organizations where all-member exhibitions let everyone in, or are being juried by artist members who either don't have the critical ability to select from a pile of submissions or who are eager to keep members happy by including their work.
.
Hobbyists: Find your peers and exhibit with them in modest venues where the limited expression of “encaustic art” will not impact the efforts of serious artists. Should you be teaching? I would say no.
.
Can you make the leap from hobby to art? With study and ambition, with critical
thinking, and—equally important— with those Gladwellian 10,000 hours of
application to your endeavor, it’s possible. But your reliance on
technique—important as technique is—will have to broaden to include a greater
understanding of the context in which you are working, the relationship of your
work to the dialog of contemporary art.
.
Here’s Dorothy Cochran, corporate gallery director, professional studio artist and popular teacher: I insist on the standards of best practices in my classes and workshops so there is no question that craft and technique are at the highest level. While I have no control over who signs up to study with me, I do have total control over what and how I present the material. I have known occasions where the hobbyist has jumped to the next level and further."
Here’s Dorothy Cochran, corporate gallery director, professional studio artist and popular teacher: I insist on the standards of best practices in my classes and workshops so there is no question that craft and technique are at the highest level. While I have no control over who signs up to study with me, I do have total control over what and how I present the material. I have known occasions where the hobbyist has jumped to the next level and further."
..
.
.
Teaching
Encaustic
.
“There is a huge financial
.
potential in teaching encaustic.
.
It's what's currently hot, and
.
the price of classes are an
.
incentive to folks to jump into
.
an arena they aren't qualified for.”
.
—Colleen Patricia Williams, artist, on Facebook
.
.
.
Don’t I know it! A few years ago I got a call from a woman
imploring me to tell her “everything I need to know about encaustic.” Why? I
asked. “I'm teaching an intro class next week."
.
Williams’s point and mine jibe with a comment on the same
Facebook thread by Allyson Sanburn Malek: “Although I do not consider myself a
teacher, I agreed to teach an artist friend one-on-one. I was appalled to learn
she later "taught" an encaustic class in her home based on our one
day in the studio. There was no way she was qualified to do so, and god knows
what she shared.” We have all heard—or experienced—some version of this story.
.
Who’s Teaching?
Crafters and hobbyists are fortunate to have access to top-quality
paint and panels for their projects. Indeed one of the things the encaustic
community has done for all its practitioners is to make those at all levels
aware of the importance of best practices, which includes using the
best-quality paint, panels and supplies each artist can afford. Outreach by the
various manufacturers has been crucial in this regard.
.
The weak link in the chain is the teaching of encaustic. In
my opinion, the bar for teaching needs to be raised.
.
While serious teachers do attract serious students—sometimes
under the aegis of manufacturers like R&F, or an event like the Encaustic
Conference, or sometimes out of their own studios—there are too many “encaustic
artists” teaching “encaustic art,” which in turn creates an exponential growth
in the number of dilettantes with a sense of entitlement. (That’s a value judgment) The point in my raising this issue here is not to scorn teachers, but to noodge the insufficiently trained ones to learn more and do better--and, equally important, to educate consumers, i.e. students, to choose wisely.
.
At the Sixth International Encaustic Conference, Sara Mast and Cherie Mittenthal led a discussion, Toward Standards and Practices in the Teaching of Encaustic. The one-hour discussion engendered such interest that it will continue throughout the year among a handful of teaching professionals and then return for discussion at Conference 7 in 2013. The intent is to develop standards—with input from a range of teachers—and make them available throughout the encaustic community. In the meantime, we may consider the following issues.

Left: the first document, published 2014
Update, June 2014: Mast, Mittenthal and Sisson, plus Milisa Galazzi, a degreed and exhibiting artist who teaches teachers, continued the discussion at Conference 8 in an effort to raise the bar for more professional practices not only at the university level but throughout the encaustic community.
They have started a Facebook page,. artistsTEACHartists that is open to anyone interested in raising the bar in teaching
Update, January 2014: At Conference 7, Sara Mast, Toby Sisson and Cherie Mittenthal--two tenured professors at the university level and the director of an art school, respectively--led a much- needed interactive discussion of safety, materials and content in the teaching of encaustic. Raising the Bar: Toward Standards and Practices in the Teaching of Encaustic, the title of the discussion, is available here as a download
Finding a Teacher
While conventional practice has relatively inexperienced
artists teaching encaustic to beginners, a more sensible approach—and certainly
one that benefits students in general and the community at large—is for
beginners to learn from experienced practitioners who are also teachers. This
is the principle in university teaching, where even the 101 courses are taught
by advanced-degree holders who maintain a current record of exhibitions and
professional involvement. I believe this should also be standard practice in
the teaching of encaustic. In this way beginners learn best practices at the
same time that they are introduced to encaustic as a means for expression, not
just a series of techniques.
.
Teachers Need to be
Accountable for What They’re Teaching
Right now, there are no guidelines for the teaching of
encaustic, either institutionally or anecdotally, except that a growing number
of serious artists are increasingly dismayed at the disturbing trend of “encaustic
artists” teaching “encaustic art.”
.
Teachers:
. Did you study art formally in an art school or art
department?
. If not, where did you study?
. Where did you learn encaustic? From whom?
. How long have you been working in encaustic?
. How long have you been teaching encaustic?
. In what venues do you teach?
. What is the focus or mission of your class?
. What is the focus or mission of your class?
. In what ways are you engaged in critical discourse,
whether about your own work or art in general? To what degree will your class address this?
. Do you show regularly?
. Are you gallery represented? Gallery representation does
not make an artist, of course, but it does indicate a level of professional
achievement
. For those teaching at the “advanced” level, a significant
resume would be a prerequisite
. Your professional information should be on the bio that’s
available to prospective students, along with a formal resumé
.
Students:
You need to exercise due diligence without being demanding or disrespectful. If the teacher you wish
to study does not provide information that answers the preceding questions, you
may request a resume or do an online search. It’s not enough to know that your
teacher is “award winning.” Inquire. You may be thinking “Guggenheim” while in
fact the award is an “Honorable Mention at the Podunk Members’ Show.” Additionally, does
your prospective teacher have:
. Teaching experience in the subject or at the level you
wish to study?
. Good word of mouth?
. Can you visit a class being taught by this teacher (understanding that it may not always be possible).
. Can the instructor provide testimonials from past students?
.
.
Inquire About Safety*
. Does the class or workshop address health and safety?
. Is there adequate ventilation for encaustic?
. Will pigments be handled?
. Will solvents be used?
. How will students protect themselves?
. What equipment will be used?
. Will students be working with open flame?
. Is there a first aid kit and fire extinguisher?
. Does the studio carry insurance
. Is there adequate ventilation for encaustic?
. Will pigments be handled?
. Will solvents be used?
. How will students protect themselves?
. What equipment will be used?
. Will students be working with open flame?
. Is there a first aid kit and fire extinguisher?
. Does the studio carry insurance
. If the teaching will take place in an artist’s studio, ask
those same questions
. And, again, ask if you can visit the studio where teaching
will take place
.
*Thank you to Laura Moriarty, who directs the workshops at R&F Handmade Paints, for her suggestions. If you have taken a workshop at R&F, you know what safety looks like and how it is practiced.
.
*Thank you to Laura Moriarty, who directs the workshops at R&F Handmade Paints, for her suggestions. If you have taken a workshop at R&F, you know what safety looks like and how it is practiced.
.
Two Stellar Exmples of Teaching
At the recent Sixth International Encaustic Conference I visited Binnie Birstein's
demonstration on Beginning Encaustic.
Here was a teacher bringing to newbies a wealth of professional and teaching
experience. Not only was her demo thorough, she anticipated the standard questions
and also responded carefully to specific questions asked by the participants.
And she was abundantly well prepared.
Anyone attending that demo left not only with an understanding of the
how and why of encaustic, but with a clear image of an engaged and engaging
teacher. Hopefully they won’t settle for less from another.
.
In Post-Conference at Truro Center for the Arts at Castle Hill, I visited Lisa Pressman’s Introduction to Pigment Sticks and Encaustic
and was impressed by the ease with which she demonstrated and then
introduced a series of one-minute exercises designed to get students actively
involved in the possibilities of the medium. There was none of the chitchat
that often accompanies workshops; students were fully engrossed. Returning at
the end of the day, I was bowled over by what the group had achieved. In many
instances, their results were finished works of art. One memorable work by
Deborah Dryden was a triptych of 12 x 12” paintings in palette of aqua and ultramarine
with bold cursive markings. Emotion of
the Ocean, inspired by the environment and, of course, by Pressman, was so
polished it would be included in Dryden’s upcoming solo. (See image in the sidebar.) Given a choice, who
wouldn’t want to study with a teacher so able to elicit this kind of work?
.
Teaching Teachers
How do teachers learn to teach? It starts when they
themselves were students. Just as artists teach others to be artists by example
and instruction, so it is with teachers who serve as models for good teaching.
This is one of the advantages of having gone to art school, but the example of
a good teacher at a community center or in a studio setting can be equally
instructive.
.
There are courses designed to teach teachers. R&F offers one. So does Hylla Evans.
It may seem petty to ask a Beginning Encaustic teacher for bona fides, but
unless s/he has had art training, the course will likely be all about
technique. And unless s/he has had good technical training, there is no
guarantee that students will not learn bad practices. Who had not heard the
horror stories of damar varnish in the
wax instead of damar resin, use of acrylic gesso, use of pigments with no
physical protection? Here I think of
Cynthia Winika’s maxim: “Learn the best, most archival ways of working. When
you know what you’re doing, then you
can break the rules.” A beginning
teacher will not have enough experience to do that.
.
An artist who takes one workshop, or one class—or even a
few— and then expects to teach encaustic is not a qualified teacher. A turnaround teacher cannot convey to a class what s/he has learned
after a brief period of instruction because each student requires different
information, and that takes years to acquire. This is why institutions require
advanced degrees and teaching experience.
.
(Relatedly, in addition to artists who may be improperly
equipped to teach encaustic technically or conceptually to other artists or to art-interested
adults, Milisa Galazzi, a professional artist and teacher, brings up the issue
of art education in the schools. Her comments about speaking to a standing-room-only
crowd at the National Art Education Association in New York City this past winter are well worth
considering:
.
“When I asked a crowd of 350-400 art educators how many are
teaching encaustic at the high-school level, about three-quarters of the room
raised hands. I am fairly confident they were not all trained by R&F. Who did
train them and what are they teaching, I wonder.
.
And, she wondered: What are they teaching with? “When I
visited the vendor hall, one reputable art supply company was selling crayons
and calling them ‘encaustic.’”).
.
.
.
Summary
.
“Encaustic is growing in popularity
.
and there is a bit of a wave of
and there is a bit of a wave of
.
stake-your-claim, like a gold rush.”
stake-your-claim, like a gold rush.”
.
--David A.
Clark, artist, on Facebook
.
.
.
.
.
“I don't think any fine artist wants
.
to be included in the "encaustic craze."
.
to be included in the "encaustic craze."
.
—Mary Wright, artist, on Facebook
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"Where would instructors be without
students? Where would the suppliers
be if only serious artists were buying
their wares? There are people who enjoy "dabbling" or knowing how something
is done. Perhaps they don’t have the
time or passion to spend the long hours
it takes to create authentic work, but
they do enjoy the creative experience
and working with their hands.
However there is a place where one ends
and the other begins.
Art, craft and hobby are not the same." ..
their wares? There are people who enjoy "dabbling" or knowing how something
is done. Perhaps they don’t have the
time or passion to spend the long hours
it takes to create authentic work, but
they do enjoy the creative experience
and working with their hands.
However there is a place where one ends
and the other begins.
Art, craft and hobby are not the same." ..
.
—Susan Lasch Krevitt, artist, on Facebook
So we end where we started, acknowledging the variety of people in our midst and their varying levels of talent and engagement.
.
The good news: The range of skill levels means that that artist/entrepreneurs have been identifying products to make and sell to the burgeoning encaustic market. Teachers have been creating schools and teaching opportunities. Individuals (like myself) have been creating conferences and retreats. This means jobs for numerous artists and opportunities for artists at all levels. How fortunate we are to have access to quality paint and panels, books and DVDs, specialized equipment (Roland Hot Boxes, Enkaustikios Hot Tools), and the opportunities to confabulate and network--hobbyists with professional role models, and the often over-subscribed professionals being reminded in hobbyists of the sense of play possible and the sheer joy of creatingThis is a win/win for everyone in the encaustic community.
The good news: The range of skill levels means that that artist/entrepreneurs have been identifying products to make and sell to the burgeoning encaustic market. Teachers have been creating schools and teaching opportunities. Individuals (like myself) have been creating conferences and retreats. This means jobs for numerous artists and opportunities for artists at all levels. How fortunate we are to have access to quality paint and panels, books and DVDs, specialized equipment (Roland Hot Boxes, Enkaustikios Hot Tools), and the opportunities to confabulate and network--hobbyists with professional role models, and the often over-subscribed professionals being reminded in hobbyists of the sense of play possible and the sheer joy of creating
.
Yet I see a problem in the stake-your-claim model, and it's this: Who's Representing Encaustic?
.
Yet I see a problem in the stake-your-claim model, and it's this: Who's Representing Encaustic?
.
At the same time that trained professional artists seek to
integrate their work in encaustic into the mainstream of contemporary art, “encaustic
art” is burgeoning. “Encaustic artists”—often insufficiently trained,
with little in the way of critical thinking—are drafting in the wake of the
professionals. Given the propensity of “encaustic artists” to take one class
and then turn around and teach it themselves, this is an exponentially
self-replicating problem, for “encaustic art” does not represent the medium
well. Let me rephrase: “Encaustic art” does not begin to express the range of
esthetic and conceptual possibilities that professional artists are able to
wrest from the medium, nor does it represent their professionalism.
.
As long as serious artists like David A. Clark, Elena De La Ville, Jane
Guthridge, Alexandre Masino, Laura Moriarty, Nancy Natale, and others from
their cohort remain models of the medium,
we have nothing to worry
about. Indeed, these are artists with exhibition histories and strong teaching
experience. These artists represent the best of contemporary art made with the
medium of wax; moreover, they offer conceptual engagement and professional
involvement (many of them with a teaching history that that extends well beyond
the how-to).
.
But . . .who remembers the macramé craze of the Seventies? Unlike
the sought-after treasure of handmade lace, those crudely knotted hangings
quickly became a visual one-liner.
.
If melty melts, drippy drips, crayon art, and decoupage-y collages become the
paradigm of encaustic—and they could if the number of "encaustic
artists" representing the medium with "encaustic art" continues to grow—encaustic
will end up as the macramé owl of the 21st Century.
.
.
Several readers said they couldn't find the Comment link. Click on the word comments below, and a box will open. Follow the prompts for posting.
53 comments:
This blog post is the equivalent to finding a tension release point in yoga! So much built up residue.
I just took a deep breath.
Thank-you for this long overdue statement to the encaustic art community, and for your ongoing quest to keep the bar high.
Joanne, this essay has been needed for so long to explain the connections between the various "camps" and the vast differences in approaches. Even those who think that encaustic painting means dripping melted crayons (you've gotta be kidding me!), have to be (regrettably) mentioned as being part of the conversation about painting with wax because they exist and their misinformation forms part of what's out there. Your essay sets straight the parameters between art, craft and hobby and points out the essential differences. Your explanation of why hobbyists do not have the same concerns as artists is totally apt and also points out how one moves from being a hobbyist to developing their work into art. No dissing, just explaining!
I can remember back around conference 2 or so when a group came together after hours to discuss what we knew was wrong with the developing "Encaustic World" and how address it. We never reached a conclusion and I don't know that a group ever could have done what you have here.
Wouldn't it be nice if this essay became so widespread that it actually set things straight! I really hope it has a beneficial effect on those who think they can teach encaustic painting without having enough background and experience. We need to set the standards high so that misinformation and bad habits get pinched in the bud before they blossom into trends.
Thank you for clarifying where we are now and hopefully for moving us in the right direction!
Thank you, Lynette and Nancy. Setting the bar is not something any one person can do. It's a community effort. Like the posters in the New York City subway system, "If you see something, say something." Of course inexperienced teachers or hobbyists are not terrorists, but if every serious artist makes an effort to raise the bar higher, the bar will be raised higher.
One thing that could make a different is a truly professional organization with standards for entry and a panel of unbiased professionals to vet the entrants both visually and in terms of achievements. In other words, teachers wouldn't load a group with their students, or popular artists in the community wouldn't load it with their friends or political allies. Such a group could make a real difference in the community. Standards would intentionally be high.
For instance, in addition to presenting a digital portfolio of 10 current or recent images, a professional would need to meet six out of nine of these criteria for entry:
1. A BFA in studio art or an MA in teaching
2. Current representation by a commercial gallery or membership in a co-op gallery, either in a major city
3. Three solo exhibitions, a least one within the past three years and at least one in a not-for-profit venue. Pay-to-show venues don't count
4. Participation in three curated shows, at least one within the past three years. One may be artist curated; the others should be by professionals (dealers, curators) regularly involved regularly in curation
5. Three reviews within the past decade. Reviews don't have to be in the New York Times, but they should indicate that someone in a position to be published has singled out the artist's work for consideration. Ads or gallery listings don't count as reviews
6. Inclusion in a museum collection
7. Receipt of three grants and/or residencies over the course of one's career
8. Significant teaching experience or presentation at a major conference, whether CAA, the Encaustic Conference, or other professional organization. "Significant teaching experience" means that the artist had to go through an application or vetting process for the teaching position
9. Ownership or directorship of a business, a blog, a gallery--an entity that provides opportunities or services to artists. Here, the potential member would show examples not only of the products but of the research s/he has done in furthering the standards of the medium
. Additional: something unique that would not be normally included on a list of requirements but that would have made a difference to the encaustic community. Examples might be the invention of a tool, the founding of an exhibition space or organization, the production of a video or book, regular participation as a juror on grant or exhibition panels, or a major installation achieved either through competiton or significant vetting
Such a group might consist of a couple dozen members initially, expanding slowly as others attain the requirements necessary for memberships. In this way it would reflect the standards for other professions. MFAs and PhDs are not easy to earn, universities have high standards for teaching. To offer examples outside of academia, not everyone gets a museum solo, the lead in a play or even, for that matter, makes it into the chorus line. Over time a membership, plus one outside arbitrator, could assume the role of membership entry.
Will these requirements make artists work for professional inclusion. Yes. And that's exactly the point.
What would this group do? Well since these are all practicing professionals, exhibition as a group would not be the point, but collegial support would be, publishing might be. Mentoring might be. And a kind of informal monitoring of community standards might be as well.
I am so appreciative of this essay Joanne,
And delighted I was and am to read your comments. I have a really hard time with the hobby side of art making and am definitely not neutral in my opinions. The article, in all its aspects, is cohesive, clear and very much to the point. So glad you wrote it!
I work with a variety of mediums,including encaustic, and all are at the service of a visual " idea". It is so important, when working with multiple media, to keep one's "vision" , without sacrificing the joy of material play and process. Thanks again!
I would like to address or dispel the notion that those who work in encaustic are mad scientists or only experiment, and the results are serendipitous and unpredictable. I, being a respected instructor of special effects with exotic materials and encaustic, have spent countless hours perfecting techniques and teaching methods to be able to deliver them to an audience in a safe and predictable manner. An artist is one who has command of their medium, not the reverse. I get the best results and those I desire through the use of encaustic. The medium serves to convey my message in the most beautiful way. This is what I teach and this is what I practice. Thank you Joanne for creating this essay and discussion.
Brava, Joanne. You have succinctly outlined the challenge which we artist presently face. At this time, it is imperative that we each ponder your comments. We must not only think about the ongoing ramifications of our present situation,we must act, in our own spheres of influence, to continue to raise the bar as high as we individually and collectively can reach lest we end up, as you aptly say in the final paragraph, "as the macramé owl of the 21st Century." This is a place, as true artists, I hope non of us dare go.
I love that you are talking about the elephant in the room....been thinking about this for years....faced these issues working in other media as well....ceramics, textiles, washi...etc. We just have to keep the standard high...Hope to see you all next year at the conference!
Kristin Swenson-Lintault, Seattle
When I first posted this YouTube site, I felt some tinge of ethics knocking on my door. I don't like laughing at anyone but at the same time, I didn't appreciate this person calling it encaustic art. Encaustics, maybe. Melting crayon craft, absolutely. During the "Standards in Teaching" discussion at the Conf., I said that I give a list of art words and their definitions to my students. I expect them to talk intelligently when it come to discussing or critiquing. And it has worked extremely without them even being aware of it. None of my students will EVER go to a gallery or museum and say, "Shoot my 3 year old grand-daughter could paint that." If they did I'd blast them (pun intended).
9 hours ago · Like
I also have a degree in the history and literature of music. You learn really fast not to call Mozart's work a "song" or "tune." I think the same should be true for all the arts.
I became an artist long before I used encaustic in my work, and I don’t use the descriptive term/label that’s used in the post. I can’t stop someone else from giving themselves that label, but for me the moniker diminishes the context within which I view both my own work and the work of others so I choose not to use it. That’s not to say that I haven’t in many ways benefitted from the wave of interest in all things encaustic, because I have. I love the community of artists that has been drawn together by the common use of these materials. They are some of the most fully realized creatively empowered individuals I have ever known. The wave of interest has also created many great opportunities for me to show my work this year, but it is a slippery slope to be identified with a movement or a medium. It’s become much easier for many to let the medium be the leading bullet point when discussing work made with encaustic, but when the medium eclipses the work it’s time to re-boot and re-evaluate because ideas and they work they are supported on can suffer from such a narrow focus. Indeed I’m trying to be more selective with the medium specific shows I choose to do, and I have made a conscious choice to search for ways to show my work in different arenas. I’ll probably do fewer shows, but I hope the larger focus will put my work into a more universal context. It’s a way for me to honor the work, however it is made, by giving it a broader spectrum. It’s not an easy shift. Saying no to my insecurities, hubris and need to show, show, show has not been easy, but I agree with Joanne when she states that, “In large measure you’re an artist by claiming the title and placing your work in an art context.” That’s really all it is about for me. It’s about claiming the work; making it better, more honest and giving it the clearest voice. Is that voice a medium? No, and articulating my work and what I do based on what materials my work is made from is reductive long term, and it does not support the efforts of those who strive to elevate the medium. I can appreciate the efforts of the many who may choose to identify themselves with medium specific labels, but the labels don’t work for me. I celebrate the medium I work with because it gives my ideas a form, but glorious as it is, encaustic is just the medium.
As for teaching, I believe there should be more of a standard for teaching, especially in regard to safety. Standards and practices should be addressed as well, although I’m not sure how they can be enforced. For myself, I spend a tremendous amount of time preparing to teach. I spent much more time prepping for the classes I have taught this year than I did actually teaching them. I feel many responsibilities when I am teaching. I want to give my students the highest quality experience they can have. I want to give them technical information, but, as I describe it in my class, it’s like teaching someone a foreign language. You learn a foreign language in order to communicate, because language is power. We are artists learning skills or “language” that will help us communicate our ideas more fully. So, hopefully I’m giving my students lots of technical information, but presenting it in a way that they can use in order to follow their own ideas and give them a physical form. It’s not a perfect formula especially because when one teaches there are often wide ranges of skill levels, desire and artistic maturity among the students. All valid points of view, but it can be a challenge to modulate curriculum to wow and challenge and reach everyone.
So where do we go from here? How do we put this discussion into action? How do we celebrate and protect and honor what we do? If I were an academic I would say that the model of a professional organization might work, but I am not an academic. So I act by doing what I do as fully and completely as I can do it. I act by working as hard as I can to make the best possible work that I can make, and then articulate the work as fully as I can when the work goes out into the world. For me there is no other way to do it. I act by thinking, seeing, reflecting and learning as much as possible so that I can deepen my work and it’s place in the larger world. And I push myself, my work and my teaching forward. Then I act by surrounding myself with like-minded individuals that share my same passion, discipline and guts to carry the torch not only for their own work, but for the work of their colleagues; Artists that have the balls to give their impulses an honest voice and to protect, honor and celebrate the practitioners, materials and most especially the ideas that make their work sing.
Wow, I could agree with most of your original essay, Joanne. However, I did have to really think about your comment. No, I can’t really jump on the bandwagon. I don’t see how a select few are going to get through to all the Mary Jane’s out there, who just want to try bringing their scrapbooking to a new and different level using encaustic. I guess I see this vetting process as really helping those particular artists further their career. It seems to be more of a “trickle down” method.
If the purpose of this discussion is how to get through to the masses and really educate a large number of people on the fine art of encaustic, I could see something done by a chapter or organization, on a community based level. Art organizations that I have been a part of in the past have worked with communities to educate. “Standards” could be established in discussions within an organization, and guidelines given to members on the community level. Many members are very willing to share and pass on information in demos or sharing sessions with the public.
Or is your message… Teachers, don’t teach without passing the criteria that has been set forth?
Good questions, Mary. Thanks for your comment.
In both the essay itself and the comment, my point of view is that of a professional artist with an interest in defining and setting standards in the practice of encaustic. At this point anything goes; it's the wax version of the Wild West. You saw the examples I posted of "encaustic art" on the sidebar of the essay blog.
Professional artists, via their experience, have much to share with emerging professionals. This is not so much a matter of particular artists furthering their career--as I say, group exhibition would not be the point-- but of sharing their experience with others who could in turn do the same for yet others. It's the very opposite of "trickle down." It's building up. In the process, standards are refined and elevated.
From what I have seen, large organizations with multiple chapters do not raise standards. Indeed, because they are membership driven, and thus reliant on member dues, it's more likely that the common denominator will be lowered.
There will always be happy hobbyists. And there will always be those who teach "encaustic art." But with a greated number of artists working at higher levels, the community as a whole will be more informed, more prepared to present themselves professionally, and better prepared to teach at higher levels of achievement and professional awareness. I also think that students who become informed educational consumers will help raise the bar by expecting more from their teachers.
You know the saying: A rising tide raises all boats.
Great post, Joanne. I find labels such as encaustic artist, painter, lithographer or whatever limiting and prefer using artist as it acts as an open ended metaphor for our choice of expression whatever that may be.
I also favor teaching with an emphasis on content and limiting technical trickery. Of course, technique must be mastered and constantly tweaked and refined, but it shouldn’t be the driving force. There are many avenues to becoming a qualified teacher of anything including encaustic-some include taking workshops from a master, terminal degrees with applicable knowledge, self-taught experimentation and research just to name a few. One note about self-taught experimentation: it’s the long road and takes much determination, discipline and sensitivity to outcomes and ultimately all serious artists end up on this path even after taking instructional classes. After taking classes from someone is where the real work begins and requires years of making work and doing. For me, teaching comes down to sharing aesthetic/ critical/ formal knowledge and mentoring people on how to think as artists while doing so with empathy and compassion.
I think it's important to also acknowledge that art is about content, particularly bullet 3 - how the viewer reacts to the art. This point is elusive - because it is a subjective matter between the viewer and the art. Who is to say a piece that is "crafty" by technique, but that evokes that connection and feeling is not in fact art - worthy of buying or collecting?
From About.com: What is art - the basic meaning.
Content is idea-based and means:
. What the artist meant to portray,
. What the artist actually did portray and
. How we react, as individuals, to both the intended and actual messages.
I feel this blog post, while making many good points overall, tackles something the art world and market (and it is a marketplace) takes care of nicely on its own: artists who make works that connect with the viewer will sell, and be collected. The craft and hobby crowd will settle out as it should. It is up to artists, as with any profession, to educate the viewer/buyer/collector as to why that particular artist deserves bigger bucks for their work. Curators hold the bar high too.
Great article Joann.
I painted exclusively in oil until I was introduced to encaustic.
After self teaching and working in encaustic for years, I decided to take a local workshop. I was horrified at the (lack of) teaching method. I had taken oil painting workshops all over the world (including Italy) and knew the correct approach. It was then that I decided to take on the mantle of teacher/instructor.
I worked on my materials and method by researching diligently. After teaching for quite some time, I was finally introduced to some good sound encaustic instruction. Although our personal style, methods and approaches differ slightly, the instruction is sound.
In every medium there will be people who will exploit and bastardize. It is our responsibility to educate and hold fast to our own professional standards. In this manner we can mitigate (to a certain degree) the impact it has on us as fine artists.
There is a similar situation happening with photography. Digital cameras have turned almost anyone who can push a button into a (self proclaimed) professional photographer.
Having said this, I do believe that taking an encaustic workshop will push the creative process, in whatever medium and artist prefers.
Another recurring thought I have is that (one day) the time we are in now will be thought of as on of the most creative/ artistic in history. In part because of all of the "crafters" who are pumping out crafty "stuff". In our time of global media, there are tremendous opportunities for anyone and everyone to explore their individual creativity.
When a person takes my workshop who is a crafter, I give them the same respect and show them the same sensitivity I show career artists.
Fine art will still be fine art. Brilliance still out shine.
Joanne, I think part of the issue is a larger one, that those taking classes outside of a university and taking day classes, are those who do not work full time, probably had a degree in art in the past, have grown children and enough money to take classes, but are still wrapped around a family life that demands priority; hence many taking classes (or teaching them outside the university) are amateurs, those who wish to be "artists" but never had the drive or vision to pursue what is a difficult profession - one that didnt get support from parents or spouse/partner and, maybe, didnt have enough talent or confidence. So, these are the many people taking classes from art centers, including those teaching encaustic methods. These people may have the drive now to focus on more than hobbies, more than cute, more than trials, but most dont or wont and they take whatever classes are "new" and "hot". This is not new-think o the Victorians who fell in love with new sciences, botany, collecting, art, writing, flower and bird and moth collections. Yet their children or grandchildren became scientists, teachers, botanists, etc. Consider that when paintswere first made in tubes and available commercially, the hobbiests jumped at it. Some may remember casein paints and acrylics - every one picked up a brush, everyone wanted to be an artist. This too will pass. And when encaustic is finally taught in colleges and universities, it will rise to the level that we artists know it should and can. Ive been teaching encaustic since 1981 when I was in grad school, and had no trouble with categories because I was known as an artist first and I was the only one teaching it back then. But I was introduced to it by my college teacher (who studied with Hans Hoffman in Provincetown) after I graduated and I taught myself how to do it. Only now am I learning better safer practices from you and the conference . We can not fight the hobbyists. Fine art craft has been fighting this for a long time and it has taken professional artists and teachers to bring craft across the 19th c border that separated art and craft because of fine visionary non-functional and functional art/craft. I saw this when I researched wax sculpture, it went and still goes thru cycles of what is considered art and non-art. It still has to do with vision, with committment to pull out of oneself and put into our work emotion, ideas, thought, - in other words, to be art, what we make has to say something relevant to others and to ourselves and our world, whether we have a gallery representing us or not. It has to be meaningful, then the process or the technique supports it but doesnt overtake the subject or content. Susanne Arnold
I cringe at the thought of a group of professional sentinels guarding the encaustic keep. When we circle the wagons in this way, the ugly word “exclusion” comes to mind - the flip side to “upholding our standards”. If we want to set standards, let’s do it by mentoring and leave out categories.
As FUSEDChicago’s president, I get grief sometimes from members who want our group to be “more professional.” One interesting thing is that people who have expressed this aren’t our most experienced artists and none are professional by any definition. They are artists who, two or three years ago, did not know about artist statements or resumes or about sizing images; in some but not all cases, their art still has some ways to go. What they often do not recognize or acknowledge is how it is that they made progress in terms of professionalism and art-making. Much of it had to do with their joining a group of artists who welcome newbies as equal members and expect them to catch up – and they do; or at least, they start the journey; or, surprised, they see that there is a journey, with levels of expertise, and they get a sense of where they stand. (I agree that this is not something artists always pick up in their technical encaustic workshops.)
In the same breath, I want to commend the professional members we have who are committed to our group; they have the highest standards for their work and they give the rest of our members something to strive for. They are unabashed about exhibiting with artists who are less experienced, and they give their time and expertise in different ways. The greatest good is that they present sophisticated and artistically complete work at a craft level that could not be higher, and they exhibit in the big wide world, well beyond our FUSED shows – this teaches us all.
My claim is that we should include, or continue to include. Art has always been a big tent, ever-growing. The annual conference itself was founded on the principle of inclusion; the teachers and conferees all attend the classes and workshops. Conferees of any experience can apply to its exhibits. R&F freely dispenses tips and advice – no one can get more information anywhere than from 10 minutes with teachers like Laura or Cynthia. Information gets disseminated (and mis-information gets corrected), in rhizome fashion, by sharing. We all benefit from the rising tide, so it doesn’t make sense to leave anyone behind. Categorizing I think gives a message – in the way that “O level” exams do for students in England. If we tell an artist that we in the serious-artist-community don’t see her/him as a serious artist, that raises an obstacle. He or she may eventually take that art history class and have an “aha” moment, or the kids may grow up, leaving more mental space to think about art, or . . . Potentially, we are all serious artists. Many of us who are did not start out that way; chances are high that encouragement had something to do with the transition. As for applying to shows - even “serious artist” shows – let’s applaud that, and leave it to jurors to spot the good stuff, and to artists to draw their own conclusions about how their art is stacking up.
Finally, art centers (a slight tangent, but I just couldn’t let this go by). Gosh, folks, I’ll take an art center exhibit any day: they seem to welcome ideas. It’s odd to hear them expressed as places for a less serious artist (hard not to read it as “you go and show there, out of the way of those of us with museum aspirations”). In Chicago, art centers are where artists can take risks; I’m sometimes sorry to see how a couple years with a gallery will flatten out the work of an artist who was swinging from the chandeliers a few years before at Hyde Park Art Center, to name one. They are seen as respectable places to Get Your Work Out There – at least in these parts!
I don't know the answer to this, just positing the question: I wonder if a bigger elephant in the room may be that encaustic is becoming known as a female-dominated medium in addition to having craft associations -- despite the fact that Jasper Johns, Anselm Kiefer and others in the cannon have created major works with it.
I agree with much of what is being brought forth here, and appreciate Joanne opening up the discussion. I acknowledge that there are different tiers of practitioners in encaustic, and that some popular workshops and publications encourage easy play over a more professional practice, I want to register a couple of points where my thinking points in a different direction:
1. Ranking Craft with Hobby confuses the conversation. I don't believe craft should be separated from art. Craft is not the same as hobby. It is a part of artmaking; artists working in any medium need to consider how they balance the emphasis of making or technique, and message. Strong concepts are supported by underlying skill, and often the skill needs to be mastered before a concept can emerge. It is fully a part of the process of being an artist and we should support all stages of development, rather than ranking craft as empty technique. Not saying that empty technique is not a problem; it is a valid criticism, but so is empty concept.
2. I am not in favor of the idea of a governing body or steering committee that dictates standards for encaustic. I think any kind of Encaustic Tribal Council can only succeed at creating the very classification many of us are trying to get away from: 'encaustic artist'. I am interested in participating in the dialogue of the greater contemporary art world. I speak about my work and my studio practice as intelligently as I can, and don't allow myself to be preoccupied with how the medium is perceived (or mis-perceived) because I cannot control that.
3. I believe this essay places too much emphasis on artists who teach workshops and enthusiastic amateur practitioners. I don't believe hobbyists would be a problem if the wider system, which includes publishers, educational institutions, curators, gallery and museum directors, writers and collectors, took the time to be better informed. Again, we can each do our part to communicate intelligently about our own work and processes, but we cannot track down every misconception and set them all straight - especially if they are not interested in digging deeper. In this sense I agree with Christine's sidebar comment.
Shelley:
Thank you for your long and impassioned post. If I may, I'd like to share a different experience with you.
I am an amateur conga drummer. I love the music. I go to concerts to hear my favorite performers. I listen to the music at home, aurally parsing the various rhythmic parts. I've studied drumming (from an excellent teacher, who taught me good technical skills and gave me an understanding of the context of the music). I even went to Cuba to learn more about "el desarollo de la musica cubana"--the history and development of Cuban music--take classes with musicians, and learn the complementary elements of dance. Yet I would not expect to do these things:
. Perform professionally
. Play with professional drummers, except in the most relaxed, non-professonal situations
. Teach conga drumming to others
. Teach the history of Cuban music, or Latin music, or Latin percussion instruments
. Teach Cuban dance moves
While the music is availiable for me to enjoy in various forms, alone or in a group, there are limits to how I, with my limited skills, can or should participate. I understand that my Cuban experience, while thrilling, did not automatically make me a better player. To be honest, I don't practice or play enough to ever go beyond the happy hobbyist. But I enjoy the camaraderie of the community and I love the music. I would not dream of representing the community.
I know my limits.
Adding:
Shelly and Laura, there are no "encaustic sentinals" guarding anything. Who would want the job? But I do think that developing standards and practices in the teaching of encaustic would go a long way toward raising the bar. I'm not talking enforcement; I'm talking consciousness raising. And as Laura mentions, speaking knowledgeably and intelligently about one's work will do much to help raise that bar, artist by artist.
Lynn: I saw a fair amount of work in wax at the fairs this year and, interestingly, much of it was by men. I gave a talk on Tuesday evening in Post-Conference in which I showed a lot of this work. Our view of the encaustic work--via the encaustic FB page and the Encaustic Conference--is just a segment of who and what is out there. I may update the talk for Conference 7 so that more folks can see it.
Please keep the comments coming, folks.
Correction: " . . . our view of the encaustic WORLD . . ."
“I don't think any fine artist wants
.
to be included in the "encaustic craze."
.
—Mary Wright, artist, on Facebook
I did chuckle at this, as I am a fine artist and I do love encaustic. It's older than oil painting, so to my mind, it's the "traditional" method of painting, with oils as a relatively new upstart! We know encaustic to be at least 3,000 years old, and the oldest example of oil painting that has been found is 1500 years old.
I think this is a great article, Joanne, and I plan on sharing this on my blog. Excellent article!
I followed some of the discussion on Face book and thought, Who is she to make these decisions and pronouncements. In reading the article here, I see an argument that is fair thinking & that no one is being picked on. I'll respond later when I have a chance to think about this. Just wanted to say something now because some of the comments on Face book have been every bit as inflammatory as the article is supposed to be, but I don't see this article as inflammatory. Food for thought, for sure.
I’ve been slow to post a response to Joanne’s essay and the commentary it generated, but not for lack of interest, just a scarcity of time over the last month. And as several other commenters have noted, the topic deserves a bit of reflection before writing a reply. So many good points have been raised about the distinctions between art, craft and hobby, as well as teaching standards, that the need for such a dialogue is evident. Thank you Joanne for creating this forum and for your ongoing engagement with issues of importance to artists.
The exponential growth in encaustic’s popularity coupled with the current proliferation of misinformation about the medium has reached a critical mass. Regrettably, too much of the material that’s been generated is superficial or just plain false. But it’s not solely the online videos that demonstrate “crayon encaustic” that cause harm. Recently I’ve noted erroneous information being passed along by an art supply store’s salesperson, misleading terms within a magazine’s exhibition review, and a complete fairytale from a feature writer attempting to explain the process of working with beeswax. These examples are not unusual and therefore all the more troublesome. Widely held misconceptions about encaustic have permeated the media, marketplace and educational institutions, potentially hindering the expansion of encaustic as a serious medium and by association, the advancement of its practioners.
Although it would be impossible to refute every inaccuracy or enforce a particular code of behavior for independent teachers, artists don’t have to be complacent about the existing state of affairs. I agree with Joanne’s endorsement of “a professional organization to establish and uphold standards for practitioners in the medium.” The promotion of collegial support, publishing and mentoring is a commendable and attainable goal. Additionally, offering guidelines for schools about best practices and safety or providing galleries and collectors with shipping, storage and display information from an authoritative source would reinforce the organization’s credibility. Most importantly, the criterion that Joanne proposes for beginning such a group encourages excellence among our peers. I would be happy to partner with my colleagues in this endeavor and I sincerely hope other professional artists working in encaustic would be interested in this kind of affiliation.
I've been reading the FB threads and comments to this essay with great deal of interest and I have to admit, a bit of trepidation. However I thought I would just add my thoughts. The essay, I think brings out some inherent problems when passionate artists, or anyone, begin to think exclusively.
I am a late entry into the world of encaustic art and artists. Despite my lack of presence, I do have a role as an educator that helps me define how I feel about giving creative people labels. I honestly, push away from, as much as humanly possible, labeling myself or anyone else. It puts limitations on self-expression and not only on others, my own as well. I can't control how others label me (you should see the recent articles published about me - you just grin and bear it or use it for the learning opportunity it is). I just recently received my MFA and having been exposed to a great many of philosophical discussions about "art" that profs and grad students generally engage themselves in - I have a hard time distinguishing the difference between "fine art" and "craft".
For argument's sake, when I look at the work of Sheila Hicks (and hear her speak), she is loathed to call herself a fiber artist - yet fibers are the medium she is known and has achieved recognition for all over the world. Would anyone say she is a "craft" artist? I think that the Surface Design members which include sculptors, 2-D/3-D artists, would be loathed to be described themselves as craftspersons. Though I suspect there are others that may happily do so.
Chihuly's work - not functional glass nor Alex Bernsein, yet no one describes them as craftsmen either. Functionality doesn't necessarily lessen the art. In my humble opinion, all art has a function whether you use it to eat with, or kvell at it on your wall, or are repelled by it in a musuem, or it brings you to tears in a theater.
Then we have artists who make a successful career of making or teaching art who we just shrug and shake our heads. We can argue ad nauseam about the merits of their work (Thomas Kincade, Bob Timberlake, Bob Ross - need I say more), who despite the clucking and angst of the rest of us, manage to carve out a tidy bit of financial success and international fame. I personally cannot stand Jeff Koons or Damien Hirst. It would seem that my assessment of their work has no bearing on what others think or the place in the art world.
All I am saying and probably not well, is that I never believe it serves us well, to belittle an organization, or individual by pigeon-holing them. You just never know. All you can do is define what is right for you and at what time something may not be. I am just as guilty as the next but I work hard to avoid doing that unless or until experience shows me otherwise.
In addition, I welcome the concept of developing an encaustic organization that has a level of professional exclusivity to aspire to in the same manner as, the National Watercolor Society, or the National Portrait Society. At the same time, I see the absolute necessity of organizations, like IEA or the Charlotte Art League that help build up, support, educate, and develop artists at all stages of their career and aspirations.
We all start somewhere and very often have to figure it out on our own, experience, in the end being the best educator.
In the meanwhile, I did not address "hobbyists" or the very serious issues of teaching encaustic, which in fact, is no more different than other mediums with important safety and health constraints. I think Joanne's essay does hit the target very well. A student, an organization, and a school, should at every case, vet the instructor, organization, or school. Joanne has written it so well, there is not reason to add to it. I get upset and advocate as much as possible over the misinformation or misdirection of artists/educators when it comes to the medium. I may borrow your points for future discussions. Thanks.
I agree with Toby about benefits of such a professional organization. I don't necessarily buy into the criteria and think it needs refining and elasticity, and honestly there aren't perfect models for this in other fields of art. Realistically, the membership and hierarchy lead to a chasm between the accepted and others. It becomes political, cliques form and bicker, and the end result is less than professional or decent behavior.
I love what David said, "I want to give them technical information, but, as I describe it in my class, it’s like teaching someone a foreign language. You learn a foreign language in order to communicate, because language is power."
Is there a way to certify teachers (which I already do) that can be widely accepted? Maybe, but that's preaching to the choir. The teachers who are out there spreading incomplete information (whether failing to put art in a context, failure to discuss meaningful intent vs play, or failure to give accurate tech information) are not listening to our voices.
Artists at a high career level who work in oil paint, watercolor, photography aren't wasting time on conversations about what novices do and say. Working at a serious, committed level doesn't leave time for much fussing about what the hobby/weekend painters are doing - except when one of those painters shines especially bright.
Sure, set teaching standards and I'd love to work on such a document with other professionals in this medium. More info and more working together does raise the level for all. How about assigning some serious time to this and forming a small group, perhaps joining with the group that spun off post conference on the topic?
Thaanks for the mention in this essay.
One of the reasons I am a good teacher is because I learned from great teachers in graduate school.
Thanks, Pam, Hylla and Lisa.
I appreciate your comments--and everyone's--which are reasoned, without the defensivenes that's othe Facebook thread. (I keep trying to direct the converastion here, where it's more private so that the dirtly laundry isnot out in public. The blog is not searchable by Google's engines.)
Lisa: your comment is short and to the point.
Pam: You raise an interesting point with mention of Hicks and Chihuly. Chihuly is a PR machine. His work was n the craft arena until he, by dint of his own PR staff, created an image for imself as an artist. Indeed, he has rented out museums or donated so heavily to others that his place in the museum world is secured. It's a brilliant promotional model, though not one that most self respecting artists would likely choose.
For Hicks, a consummate artist who studied with Albers at Yale, it's the issue of fiber being "women's work" and "women's work" being second class. That's another thread/post/philosophical/professional issue.
Toby and Hyla: I suspect a professonal organization would likely develop in the manner o American Abstract Artists--an organization of professionals who meet regularly and show occasionally. A peer group of professonals. I wouldn't even want "Encaustic" in the title.
THIS COMES FROM FANNE FERNOW:
Okay. Time to say something even though I have not really formulated all that I want to say.
Me. I do not have a BFA or MFA or any other art degree. I have a few other degrees in things like philosophy and ethics. I have always studied art, either at very good schools or from very experienced teachers.
I first learned about encaustic painting at San Francisco Art Institute, considered to be a very good art school. That was in 1996, and I have to say that everything I learned about encaustic was wrong.
I was happy when I first saw Joanne Mattera's book but, I found it difficult to learn "process" from it. Now that I know what I am doing, I use it frequently as a reference. In fact, I have been through a couple of copies of the books because I wear them out and get wax all over them.
For years I played around with encaustic and with beeswax. I made a lot of mistakes. In 2007, I took a class from Daniella Woolf. This opened my eyes and my brain to using encaustic paints, and my life has never been the same.
Daniella has become a good friend and teacher. Lately, we have been working together to make monoprints. I call them duoprints. Working with her in a collaborative way has been really really good for me. Not only because of how she works, but because I have been able to visit her wonderful studio each week to be a witness to what she has been doing. She has an amazing work ethic which shows not only in what she is doing, but how she is making art. She is one of my heroes.
Her latest book does not really speak to my needs as an artist, but I do think that for a person wanting to start working with wax, it is excellent. Most of the projects are simple and thought provoking. I don't like all of them, but I do like the way the projects are presented, and I believe that the projects can provide a way for people to break into wax without being totally intimidated by what they are seeing. The instructions are presented in an easy-to-understand way.
I am one of those people who does not believe that covering a collage or a photograph with encaustic medium necessarily makes it an encaustic painting. There are exceptions, of course, like the encaustic living room (life sized) created by Wendy Aikin and Judy Stabile. Sometimes, It really depends on the way something is created. I believe that to call something encaustic, the work must be what Miles Conrad calls "wax based".
To be honest, I don't like most of the encaustic art that I see. My eye is very biased toward simple, minimalist work. Some work is too convoluted for me. The thing that I know beyond anything else is that it does not matter if a person has three MFAs or has taken just one class at RF Paints. If I had to chose between getting an MFA or taking one class at RF Paints, I would take the class at RF Paints or a class from an RF Paints-trained teacher. Personally, I take as many classes as I possibly can at Wax Works West right here in Santa Cruz County, California. At Wax Works, they host Laura Moriarty teaching the RF teacher's course. And most of the Wax Works teachers are RF trained.
CONTINUING FANNE'S COMMENT:
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the people who use encaustic as an art, a craft - as a profession or as a hobby. Some people do not even get as far as calling it a hobby. Of times, I forget about how hard it is to work with molten wax. It does not really look very hard. We know that it is very hard.
In every art form, be it music, writing, film, stage or many forms of fine art, there are people who do not do it well, who do not take the time to develop their craft. This is something that I learn to live with. It does not matter to me if if a person's involvement with wax is as an artist, professional or amateur, a crafter, professional or amateur, or a hobbyist. Brilliant art can come from any of those disciplines. And brilliant artists can emerge from each place as well. I bid every artist, crafter, hobbyist to devote a lot of time and energy into developing your skills. I bid you to keep working and working and working. In art, I believe that knowledge is great, but experience is what makes a person an artist.
Thanks for your comments, Fanne. They are well tought out and heartfelt. What I particularly like is that they are not defensive.
I agree that brilliant artists can emerge from anywhere--I say this in the essay, as do others--but the likelihood is not high. As in any discipline, it is crucial to have education and experience. Without the benefit of context, content and critical thinking, art will never progress beyod a certain point. And that's fine--I say that in the essay, too--except when those artists turn around and teach others. Then it's "encaustic artists" teaching others to become "encaustic artists." "Encaustic art" is limited and limiting, based not on ideas but on medium. The very fact that there's no "oil art" or "acrylic art" tells us something.
I have nothing against hobbyists, not do I have anything against teachers trying to earn a living. But I am fearful of the proliferation of "encaustic artists" and "encaustic art." (An issue, by the way, that I have been vocal about long before IEA came into being.) If the "encaustic art" community is angry at what I have to say--and I get that, it threatens their comfy little wax world--that's fine. I am willing to raise the issue because hopefully it will raise the bar. It has been the elephant in the room. If you don't want to listen to me, listen to other voices of experience who have spoken out here.
Bottom line: The issue has been acknowledged. It is being discussed behind the scenes, as well as here. That there's now discussion is a good thing. A very good thing. I hope others will join in this discussion here so that there's an archival record of the discussion, rather than FB threads that disappear into cyberspace never to be seen again.
I'm finally able to post here. I have read all the FB threads that reference this blog & I agree that there are more emotions being thrown around there vs. here, where time is taken to make sure the comments are relevant. My hesitation to post here was primarily because of the "archival" nature of this blog, that it would be around as a document of the discussion. This is a good thing- but it made me want to triple-and-quadruple-think what I'd contribute. From the get go, I could tell there were many facets to the convo, and I was unable to jump in despite my many many notes for posting a comment. On FB, I can write off the cuff. Several people did that there, and in some ways the convo stalled. They seemed to assume certain things were said here that weren't, and I feel that was a distraction. I know there are factions in this community, and that makes me uncomfortable. I have strong opinions about what art I like or don't like, but I have stronger opinions about how I want people to treat each other. My limited knowledge of this community tells me that there is a historical nature to certain divisions here, and I think it's been respectful of people when that history hasn't become the focus. Past unkind things done & said- these have an impact and unfortunately it can cloud this important discussion. However, the impact of dubious actions remain even when they are not specifically addressed.
I believe many valuable points were brought up in this essay, and I also value points of dissent as a way for us each to clarify what we think. Whether classified by ourselves or others as "hobbyist", "craftsperson" or "artist", I think we each have intentions worthy of respect. I self-classify as an artist, and while I don't think I deserve special treatment for this, I do want my professional needs as an artist respected, just as I would like to respect the aspirations of a self-classified hobbyist. I think there is just as much self-accusation among fledging creators as there is labeling by others; just because one fears the labels others give us doesn't mean those people are wrong in trying to classify & order how to process different kinds of creating. Don't shoot people for trying to make classifications; there is value in it, just as there is value in not being defined or limited by others' classifications. Also- let's not let our own insecurities or self-accusations pressure others into not being allowed to speak about different types of art, aspirations, talents, or pursuits. We all label things, but we must not live by labels. Although I am a relative late-comer in life re. asserting my opinions & my voice (I am reserved & often hesitate), as I learn to have my own voice I am simultaneously learning to enjoy the voice of those who have never hesitated to speak up. We shouldn't all be bold lions, but we can't all be quiet mice either.
Finally to my opinion on specifics of this essay: I would like a professional organization that can set standards in teaching so that art schools can teach sound information about the encaustic medium. I also want any issues regarding liability or safety or toxicity to be documented so that misinformation stops spreading. If artists are taught this medium correctly, I am quite certain more will use it, which will be better for everyone.
I am an artist, one of mediums just happens to be encaustic. I like it that way.
Thank you for all the thought, passion and effort you put into this article Joanne. It is through your voice and efforts that we will all move forward. I appreciate it.
I was fortunate to learn from Paula Roland, who I have to say is one of the best teachers I have studied with. She is professional and passionate. She presents material in a thoughtful and well organized fashion. She is able to blend the presentation of technique with critical thinking. She helps you learn the very best in technique while always striving to create your vision and finding your own voice. She changed my world. I think as a community we should all strive to uphold these standards.
I was quite surprised recently to see a variety of fall encaustic courses being offered by a vocal member of our mutual FB encaustic groups. Last year at the 5th International Encaustic Conference this person told me that she had only been dabbling in encaustic and was not sure why she was there and probably would not return. While I know that she has a formal art education from a prestigious university, she does not have “bona fide experience, both in terms of teaching and exhibitions” of encaustic work. I believe that this person is unfortunately, an example of those who go to the conference or other workshops and then reproduces what they have learned as their own. There is a serious disconnect between artists that teach from experience, based on a developed body of work and the entrepreneurs that clone them. I noticed an excessive amount of grandstanding FB posts from this artist over the summer about being a serious artist, with integrity, best teaching practices, dedication to the Encaustic Conference and the people in the Content, Medium Esthetic. In the context of her accelerated interest and expertise as a practioner of encaustic painting, I guess it makes sense to promote herself. I am not outing her, just wondering how many others are doing the same thing?!
This same person told me that she was unable to get a seat in my talk this year at the 6th International Encaustic Conference. I would like to think, at best, had she heard my talk, maybe she would not have run back to her community to reproduce the conference workshops. For anyone else reading this that is in the “business” of encaustic art, the following is an excerpt from my talk given at the 6th International Encaustic Conference:
“I feel as a community of artists we are at a tipping point. There is a collective, voracious appetite for adding just one more technique to our studio practice. I want you to keep in mind this weekend, when these amazing artists demonstrate how they use a particular technique, it comes from their heart and soul and it’s not a product. Their techniques are given in the spirit of generosity. You should absorb it, not reproduce it. Incorporate these ideas into your thought processes, your emotions and weave them into your message.”
The entrepreneurial focus of some encaustic workshops is lowering the studio practice of encaustic painting to craft and commercialism. These workshop instructors introduce their students to the concept of an encaustic art product. I believe it is because of this mindset, I receive a lot of email from “encaustic artists” asking me to explain how I make my “encaustics”. I usually delete this email, but now, because of Joanne’s blog, I have formulated my response: My “technique” is a combination of 54 years of life experience, it’s effect on me good and bad; a formal art education from RISD, not just a few workshops; the input from seeing many thoughtfully curated exhibitions in museums and galleries; the intellectual and emotional exchange with artists at the International Encaustic Conferences; day after day, year after year working, following the organic path that happens in a studio practice; I have developed my message, my art, from my heart, soul and with my two hands. I hope that you enjoy this technique as much as I have.
Marybeth says: "The entrepreneurial focus of some encaustic workshops is lowering the studio practice of encaustic painting to craft and commercialism. These workshop instructors introduce their students to the concept of an encaustic art product."
Thank you for saying that, Marybeth.
Perhaps if some folks hear it from people other than me, it won't be as easy for them to shoot the messenger. (Then again, you may also become known as "The Alpha Bitch of Encaustic.")
I admire entrepreneurial spirit--indeed, as Jackie Battenfield noted in her Conference 6 keynote, sometimes the best job is the one you create for yourself. But I've noticed that in the encaustic community there seems to be a lot of entrepreneurial taking. The anyone-can-teach idea is part of it, a reason I've had to get stricter (and better)at vetting presenters for The Encaustic Conference.
The private classes are another issue. The argument against your speaking out invariably will be financial, "Why are you trying to stop someone from earning a living?" when in fact it should be reframed in terms of moral responsibility: "How can you 'teach'" something you know nothing about? Where is your responsibility to your students?"
And publishing is yet another issue. What makes an artist think she can take notes and a few pictures at a conference or workshop and then present that information (with tons of errors) on her blog. Well, yes, she credited the teacher, but her information was so poorly and erroneously conveyed that the teacher, who gave an intelligent and insightful presentation, was made to look as if he didn't know his material. And then imagine refusing to take it down, even after being requested to do so. Where does this come from?
But the taking goes beyond teaching. Imagine asking artists for images for your book and then not giving the them a copy of the published volume. Imagine charging artists to submit work for your publication? I worked in publishing long enough to know that this is NOT how it's reputably done. Imagine telling artists that if their work is accepted into a juried show and it sells before the show, they would be required to give the exhbiting gallery 50 percent. Talk about trying to stop someone from earning a living! I have found that the very folks who are being suckered are the ones who are loudest in opposition to what I've said. Odd isn't it?
My point is that I see a lot of take in the encaustic community. I chalk it up to inexperience. I do belong to other art comunities so I'm in a position to make a comparison. I've never seen anything like what I see here. If speaking out helps make people aware--and thank you for that, MB--then you've done a good thing. If not, you know the old saying:
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
For that quote we can thank Winston Churchill, the Alpha Bitch of the British Empire.
OMG…. This is a vast subject and I have already been carried away with thoughts for all of it….Craft, Hobby, or ART.
I’ve thought about this a lot, Joanne…….not just for encaustic, but for all mediums we use as artists. Although I am only a ‘painter’,I also use collage and love looking at assemblage work... although I have made myself not go there…too much room is needed to supply myself with the room to hoard all the ‘stuff’ I would maybe use someday.
My personal belief is it doesn’t matter how we come to art, when we know we are going to be artists, and professional artists, we need to adhere to good, sound practices if we are to make something worthwhile to a person viewing a hundred years down the line. We need to have some craftsmanship (womanship??) unless our concept is to making work that decomposes… if so, forget this.
Not going to art school (although I SO wish I had been able to do so)… I question that some have taught or learned how their mediums work technically; I have chosen to be a painter so I have always read up on these issues. It’s fun and it also helps me to know what is what.
All this said, I think that people should experiment, but when they teach, when they sell their work, they need to try to play ( really hate to say play as art is ‘work’ when it comes down to it……all they want, but get the best information to their students, and be sure to not take experimental work that will fall apart to their galleries or clients. AND be safe in the studio.
Thank you for bringing all this up, Joanne. Sorry, I do not have the answers, just a little input to the conversation.
I don't think craft is something that can be separated out from art; it is part of it, and sometimes it is all of it. As with any medium, sometimes it's good, sometimes not. That balance is what defines Art Work.
If we really want to raise the bar on the medium, I believe it would be helpful if we could agree to define encaustic purely as an art medium, and stop using the term, as historians do, to describe both the medium and the method. That, in my opinion, is what muddies it. It brings out the stickler in us, and everyone knows that sticklers are not cool. For the purposes of the 21st Century artist, let encaustic be a noun, and only a noun. It is a material that artists use in a wide variety of ways. It is a very specific material, but it is just a material.
Cheryl: "Input to the conversation" is exactly what's needed. Conversation is what gets the community thinking about the issues I've raised, rather than a knee-jerk reaction to the messenger and message. So thank you for contributing to the conversation.
Laura: I agree that craft--i.e. the physical making of the work--can't be separated from the work, otherwise you have a building without a foundation, so to speak. The issue for me is that the *craft* of making a work is very different from the *crafty* we see in some encaustic work.
Who makes the distinction? Who arbitrates? Sometimes it's artists who try to distance themselves from a particular work, artist or group, seeing their focus as too heavily weighted with technique rather than idea. (You can't have a house that's all foundation.)
Sometimes it's a dealer, curator, critic or arts writer who, having looked at an untold amount of art, comes upon a work or exhibition and finds the that there's no "there" there. If they experience this enough, they will write off the medium--and those who work in it--as not worth critical time and attention. I am still thinking about the dealer in Provincetown who said something like, "The issue with encaustic is that it's perceived as being too crafty.And the fact is that much of it is."
Laura, I'm not sure we should try to change history. For 2000 it has been medium and method. It seems to me that focusing on content in contemporary encaustic--while acknowledging technique as the foundation--is the way to go. And for that, we need to encourage higher standards in teaching, writing and thinking about art made in this medium. But we are in total agreement that encaustic is "just a material." It's the means to an end, not the end in itself.
Given that teaching encaustic is still a hit and miss process and there are artists/teachers teaching encaustic with insufficient knowledge and experience, and there is no college level degree qualifying the teaching of encaustic process and that this is a concern to those who are knowledgeable and experienced, I would offer the following thoughts: I recommend following the process developed by the American Association of Museums for gaining accreditation of professional standards and best practices because this process is voluntary and peer reviewed and qualified. Like artists who, without sufficient experience, collectors can open their garage, install their collection and call it a museum. They can even require a fee to see the collection. Until they need grant money to upgrade their "museum". Then they find their facility does not meet the credentials to qualify for money because it isnt a "museum", ie doenst meet the standards of other museums. IF it wants to attain those standards it can do so voluntarily. It joins the AAM and voluntarily applies for a review by museum professionals who will help, educate and provide a list of standards and best practices that all museum professionals have voluntarily agreed are necesasary to be assigned the title of accredited museum, and hence qualify for grant money and respect among peers. Likewise, a group of professional encaustic teachers (we are talking teaching not art making) could put together a list of what they consider safe practices and standards. This list could be made available at the conference and at workshops given by professionals. This brochure could offer new teachers in this medium the opportunity for self evaluation and peer review, with the objective of receiving the title "qualified encaustic instructor" or encaustic instructor qualified by a peer group "Encaustic professional teachers," etc. Like the museum program, this would be voluntary and collaborative between the person seeking qualifications, the "professional" peer review group, and, perhaps, certain orgainizations or facilities. IE, like a masters program, facilities will soon learn that they gain prestigue (sp!) and draw more students if they have a "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval" teacher, and the teacher gets higher pay and the prestigue of teaching at the level of a master encaustic teacher. This is also similar to the old training process of intern working with a master until they have met the master's recommendation that they are qualified to make/teach on their own. Anyone interested in this concept can go online to www.aam-us.org/museum resources/map.steps.cfm. I used that plus the book "Professional standards for museum accreditation" published by the aam, that I was trained by for my graduate degree in museum studies. Susanne Arnold
Thank you Joanne for a wonderful and provocative essay. I would like to respond to several points.
Currently we live in a society that devalues the arts from a very early age. In too many cases our children either get no basic art education (or any of the arts for that matter) ,or they get very little. On top of that the arts educators in our schools are often display a lack of sophistication or any philosophy at all about the effect their so-called teaching has on our children and ultimately our society. This is not to attack art teachers in public education across the board (there are of course, many great ones)but to bring out that the standards for art teachers vary greatly from one area to another and in too many cases are sorely lacking. The result is that art becomes reduced from important curriculum in a well balanced educational system to a sort of rewarded playtime for finishing their "real work"like math and science (or learning how to take the standardized test)Even in a case where there actually is an art class it often becomes a lesson in following directions to make a dinosaur or elephant or paint a "winter scene" that is an exact replica of something the teacher demonstrates step by step. By the time our kids reach the third grade they are afraid to do anything at all expressive and will wait to be told what to do next. Its no wonder that my college students in fundamental art classes constantly want me to “demonstrate” down to the tiniest detail so that they are not required to flex any expressive muscle and can be guaranteed an “A.”
My reason for bringing up this in an encaustic discussion is to point out how our society has failed in art education as a whole. Encaustic education is simply following suit. If we teach only rote technique, and never approach conceptual and experiential learning in art we should not be surprised to find our adult population satisfied with learning art at hobby level’
There has always been an abundance of mediocrity in available art classes in You can pay your money and apply glaze to an already fired mold-poured teacup. You can sign up to take a class in watercolor, oil or pastel that will guarantee you take home a “finished” painting replicated step by step along with the instructor. When you leave with your finished product you may be pleased but you are not an artist. You might as well do a paint by number or just buy a teacup at Crate and Barrel.
There are no short cuts to art education whether it is encaustic, oil painting or mixed media. Learning tricky techniques and reproducing the same image over and over may make you a millionaire like Thomas Kincade but to be an engaged contemporary artist in encaustic or any other media you will need to learn expert craftsmanship, the rules of design and composition and how to express the content of your ideas.
To the person who said that given the choice of an MFA or a class at R&F, I must say that this is not a fair comparison, not even apples and oranges. This is like comparing an orange to a full orchard in bloom. I have both an MFA and I have taken several classes at R&F, both were very valuable endeavors.
My three years spent earning my MFA at University of South Florida was perhaps the most challenging, meaningful and life changing thing I have ever done. To get an MFA is not something to take lightly, the requirements are rigorous, expensive and it will take several years of your time and devotion. To me it was like 3 years of total immersion into technical, cultural, social and conceptual expression of humanity in the context of human history, not to mention the personal exploration and research into my own mind. That is a mind-blowing and life changing experience. I highly recommend it to any serious artist.
Taking classes at R&F has also been a great experience. I was taught to work with encaustic by some of the most qualified and best teachers available. I learned the highest standards of safety in the most correct and complete techniques that are to be found and I was privileged to work in a state of the art (encaustic art) studio with the finest materials money can buy. If you want to learn encaustic why shortchange yourself, go to R&F or one of the other listings in this article, or take workshops at the National Conference.
But make no mistake, it is not an MFA.
Thank you, Susanne and Kate for your comments.
Susanne, on Sunday afternoon at Conference 7, Cherie Mittenthal, Sara Mast and Toby Sisson will panelize on "Standards and Practices in the Teaching of Encaustic." This will be a session consisting of two one-hour segments, possibly even including the half-hour break if folks are so inclined. Out of the discussion will come the very thing you are talking about. I hope you will plan to be part of that audience, as I will be. Your input will be invaluable.
Kate: you make a strong case for an M.F.A.--not a graduate degree in wax but in ART, which encompasses a range of experience beyond medium. One of the reasons I am looking for Conference presenters who teach at the university level and/or whose studio practice is accompanied by the serious bonafides of exhibition experience is precicely for the reasons you describe. Anyone can teach technical basics--and hopefully they will teach them correctly--but how-to is only a small slice of the artmaking pie.
What R&F Workshops, and the International Encaustic Conference and its workshops--and other good teachers--provide is an education that marries technique with the larger issue of how medium and technique are used in service to vision. An MFA is not possible for many artists, but a good education with good teachers is. The challenge for all serious students is to find the best teachers. We will do our part at The Encaustic Conference to help compile that list--a non-partisan list, based on ability and conceptual vision.
Joanne, the conference has been doing that since it began. I was introduced to encaustic in the 60s and have been focused on painting/sculpting with encaustic since 1981, but I have learned more about the medium and technique and expanded how I can use it safely to explore my vision since I started attending the conference. Thank you and the other artists teaching and demonstrating for offering me choices and better practices. There is always more to learn.
Joanne, thank you for this thoughtful essay. Most of the comments here seem to be from those who teach. I offer comments from the perspective of a student. I’ve been waiting to post until after I took Nancy Natale’s recent workshop at R&F in Kingston, NY, so I would have a broadened frame of reference.
I came to my artistic pursuits late in life. I’ve been at it for about 5 years, working in various mediums. Most of my education is from books and DVDs. When I happened upon encaustic by way of “faux encaustic” (horrible term) in a book on acrylic mediums, I was intrigued and researched to learn what it actually was. I am inspired by texture and encaustic seemed like it might provide me with a vehicle for expression that I found lacking in other mediums. I was delighted to find that I live 30 miles from R&F, so I signed up for their Encaustic Mini Workshop that gives a brief introduction, covers the safety issues and demonstrates some basic techniques. Before the workshop, I had purchased two books that were technique focused. I was grateful to learn about the safety issues at R&F because I don’t think they are adequately discussed in the two books I started with.
After the workshop, I was hooked on the medium but due to a family member’s health issues (he eventually passed away) I was unable to give it the time I wanted until last year. I joined the encaustic group on Facebook and found several well-known artists working in encaustic posting there. I felt very out of my league and not sure if I belonged. Joanne’s posts often contain questions centered on the context and why of what we do rather than the how, something I had never given much thought. I tried to dismiss her questions and actually became a bit annoyed by her constantly bringing up the subject. I had no idea what motivated me and not a clue how to find out. I thought that it wasn’t that important and I didn’t really care. The problem is if I am to be a serious artist, it is important. Her posts nagged at me and I couldn’t dismiss them.
I have taken two online classes that were technique focused. One was more involved than the other. They were helpful, but in one of them, I felt the information was lacking, not sufficiently addressing archival and other issues. In my opinion, it was from a more ‘crafty’ perspective and that did not interest me.
I love Nancy Natale’s work and was happy to see that she was would be doing a workshop at R&F this summer as part of their Visiting Artist Series. When I read the description of the workshop, I was intrigued, thinking that maybe I’d find help in exploring the context/why questions. It said: The aim will be to get artists to dig deep and approach their work from a critical standpoint, knowing physically and technically how to put components together, balanced with a solid understanding of why we make the work we do. I took the workshop and it was an invaluable experience, taking me totally out of my comfort zone and giving me just the jumping off point I needed to start to address the why questions and start thinking critically about the work I’ve been producing. I’m beyond excited to take what feels like a giant step on this journey and am very grateful to Nancy, a wonderful teacher and so encouraging, to Joanne, for her persistence, and to R&F, Laura especially.
I am excited to think about more workshop opportunities at R&F. Having now experienced both exceptional and mediocre teaching, I think the need for teaching standards is very necessary. I think all teachers have a responsibility to make sure they are qualified to teach and the establishment of standards will hopefully set high standards. David Clark’s comment resonates with me. “The choices we make are what define us.” As a student, I have a responsibility to vet my teachers and you can be sure that I will.
Deb,
Thank you for your beautifully thought-out comments. You are exactly the artist I hope to reach with this essay: the one who is searching for something--the good teacher, the illuminated path, the idea that sends your work from rote technique to using the medium (and its techniques) to express a vision that is uniquely your own.
I've said this before: The folks who are most annoyed with this essay, and my comments in general, are the ones most in need of hearing them. I am glad you listened. I'm not the only one saying this, of course. My message is not unique. You can hear it in art school, or among artists working at a serious level. When you come across a teacher who teaches only "how" without asking you "why," you have to ask yourself, as you have done, if this is the best teacher for you. Lack of critical discussion may be easier on the student--it's certainly easier on the teacher--but it doesn't help an artist to grow.
Honestly, a comment like yours makes my day. Thank you.
Appreciating the opportunity to express pov here / short story: at 18y/o I stumbled upon 'encaustics' at an art colony in Ein Hod, Israel...staying in a room with no electricity,in order to paint at night I used candles as light, painting with guache and india ink. Upon spilling the wax of the candles several times, out of frustration, I did it on purpose and combined it with guache and india ink and later added borrowed crayons for more color. It wasn't till I returned to the US and applying to art schools with my 'portfolio' of one month that someone said, 'Oh, you work in encaustics.' I said, 'what's that?' She replied painting with wax and pigment.' I said, 'you mean there's a name to this accident?'
So having gone to 4 art schools, the last being Cooper Union, I continued painting with beeswax and oil paint out of a saucepan and hot plate direct onto canvas. Several decades later I became re-introduced to this great art form via: Hylla Evans, Jane Guthridge and then Paula Roland. The connection, experience and generosity from all three have been a great reminder of how we are as humans/artists is as important as all else. Open thanks to you all, along with the authors of the books recommended...Joanne and Lissa.
Now having come away with no degrees at all from 4 art schools and one college I stand in between, having been 'educated' but without 'credential'...no problem. Historically, the Surrealists wanted Dali to be part of them but he steered away from them as a movement and of course the Dadaists and Fauvists all had their groups and renegades...Chagall too stood alone from definition though asked to be part of the Surrealists. Andy Warhol said, 'Art is anything you can get away with.' In a way it's innovative and in a way it's a cop out. Damien Hirst's conceptual art selling for millions encased in formaldehyde...oh well. My point is I think there is a bigger picture here than this world of encaustics...I'm a self taught jeweler also but though I had to partake in craft fairs at first eventually was a designer and innovator working with etched metals and translucent plastics with gold. So the bigger question is how to be genuine, and in that the other 'categorizations' fall by the wayside / I may be teaching encaustics, calligraphy, creative writing and cooking at the new Charter School here and am very excited it that comes to be. Who you are, what you are and how you manifest in the world defines your quality and credential...to it matters not who calls themselves encaustic artists and whomever shows their work...it's obviously not where you/we might show. When I was young and a guard at the Jewish Museum, I had my bubble burst when I realized even in the pristine, idealistic (in my young mind)world of art...it was who you know when I heard the curator was shtuping the artist...how naieve of me...
So to teach abstract painting I like to blindfold the students to break some aspects of conceptualization...painting without seeing what you're doing...(thank you) Ish
Case in point?
http://resincrafts.blogspot.com/2012/08/envirotex-lite-resin-over-encaustic.html
Stephen Futral says: " My point is I think there is a bigger picture here than this world of encaustics."
Indeed there is, Stephen. It is the world that any serious artist, working in any medium, inhabits. But the issue for this essay *is* encaustic, for the reasons I set forth in the essay.
You say the issue is "how to be genuine." I say it has to do with what the work is about. Perhaps we are using different words to say the same thing. However, I do see the term "encaustic art" as an impediment to furthering one's career--or if career is not a concern, to having one;s art taken seriously-- because it treats the medium as a genre rather than as a medium, as if there's such a thing as "oil art" or "ink art."
In any case, thank you for commenting.
There's a parallel conversation about "demarcation" happening in the scientific community.
http://chronicle.com/article/Separating-the-Pseudo-From/134412/
Quote:
"For millennia, philosophers have attempted to erect a boundary between those domains of knowledge that are legitimate and those that are anything but—from Hippocrates' essay on "the sacred disease" (epilepsy) to editorials decrying creationism. The renowned philosopher Karl Popper coined the term "demarcation problem" to describe the quest to distinguish science from pseudoscience ..."
Laura,
Translating ideas from science to the art world may not not always work--esthetics are subjective after all--but I believe the issue in translation supports my contention of three areas of expression in encaustic: art, craft and hobby. Unlike pseudoscience, all three of these areas are valid and true.
But only one of them is art..
Your reference to macrame made me cringe. I have worked with textiles for years and the battle to not be relegated to the lowest level of the art spectrum is ongoing. I have begun to work with wax and have seen the crafty side of this medium. The only way to rise above this is to have standards in teaching and personal standards in your own work as you have stated. Thank you for your excellent article.
Post a Comment